Vacation is here! I’ve only worked two weeks (and still haven’t met all of my students) and now it’s time for a two week paid vacation. Bienvenue en France (Welcome to France).
Friday, my first day of vacation, I went to Limoges for “Le frairie des petits ventres” AKA “the Merrymaking of little stomachs” AKA a sausage festival. I hitched a ride with the Austrian assistant to Limoges and then hung out with some other friends and spent the night. I had a great time and the girl who let me crash on her floor (Adrienne) was the best host ever. So welcoming and hospitable! When we got to the Sausage Fest there were tons of people…so many people that I felt borderline uncomfortable. But, I pushed through the crowd and decided to eat a sausage…even though I knew that this sausage was made up of intestines and gross things that people should never eat. I ate about 2/3’s of it and then gave it one more look, and just couldn’t finish it. I was thoroughly disgusted and wanted to throw up. BUT I can at least say that I ate the most disgusting sausage in the world. Ugh, the meat wasn’t grinded up finely and I could see different textures and colors of the meat inside the casing. That’s what got to me…the textures and nastiness.
After this we went to a couple bars for some drinks and went home. The bars were ok, but I’m starting to realize that I am almost “over” the whole bar scene and going out. Or maybe it’s because it’s not going out with “good friends” more or less acquaintances. Maybe that will change though…it just takes time!
We then went to meet an older woman at a café that they met at a conversation group. It was going to be a language exchange…30 minutes French and 30 minutes English. Apparently, the woman thought that it was only going to be two people and was not happy when there were four of us who showed up. Apparently the intentions of the meeting were not clear. Regardless, we spoke there for a couple hours until it was time for me to take the train back.
When I got back to Bellac, I bought a Kebab (only my favorite thing ever…only my 2nd one if France in a month…not bad if you ask me). I then went back to my room and took care of a lot of things that I’ve been wanting to do for a while (watch the newest episode of grey’s and private practice, send emails to a few people, clean my room, look up plane tickets from Venice-Paris, etc). It was quite a successful and productive night!
***I forgot the most important part! When I got to the train station I bought tickets to go to Madrid to visit a friends named Carly from college who is doing her Masters there! It was a tad bit expensive (and the train takes 12 hours on the way there and 15 on the way back with a few short layovers of course). This is the best time for me to go though because my other two vacations I will have people visiting me (Jordan, or my mom and Danielle). Carly also has a four day weekend so it works perfect! I’ll stay 5 days and then I have two days of travel…and then my vacation is pretty much over! I can’t wait to go, I am so excited to have a guide to show me around the city and to meet up with a friend from home! You don’t realize how much you take friends for granted until you don’t have them around you anymore. I will make sure I take tons of pictures and update my blog about my travels. And of course to tell you how bad being in a train for 12 hours SUCKS!
No comments:
Post a Comment