Just a little update, I didn’t have a melt-down today and didn’t get discouraged at all (unlike yesterday). This morning I tried to sleep in (seeing as I didn’t have anything else to do) but that was quite unsuccessful because there were bells going off constantly in the morning starting at 6:45! 6:45 is the students’ breakfast time and then the bells ring both in the school and the dorms at the beginning and end of each class…so sleeping in didn’t exactly happen.
I decided to go for a run (which turned into more of a walk) and find my way around Bellac, my new ‘home.’ I started on a path that was in a park behind my school but today the teachers were on strike so a lot of students were hanging out there because their teachers never came! Don’t ask me, I don’t get why they go on strike all the time, I don’t get it either…I don’t really think it changes anything but the French are famous for going on strike! Anyways, I didn’t like that they were watching me so I decided to go on the roads and eventually I found the middle school I will be working at for 4 hrs/week, a Laundromat, some hair dressers, a pizza shop, the office of tourism, and some other small stores (ex- A store where you can buy everything you need for a funeral…WEIRD). I picked up a map and a guide of things to do around Bellac as well. I then headed back to town and got ready for the day. A little later I faced my fears and ate lunch at school (I didn’t know how the system worked and didn’t want to eat by myself)! The food wasn’t bad, better than cafeteria food in America…but wasn’t exactly delicious either. After lunch I went on a tour of town with one of the teachers I will be working with named Evelynne. She showed me Bellac’s small river (more like a large creek), a church, the post office, a bakery, and some other stores. The best part though is that we went to a bank to at least learn about setting up an account. I need to get a proof of housing and salary and then I can set my account up so I can get paid! Woohoo! Other great news is that I got a comforter today from the school and now I don’t have to use the ratty wool-like blankets they gave me with a piece of hair and grass on it! I know, this doesn’t seem exciting to you but it was quite exciting to me. Otherwise a new one would have cost me 70 Euros…AKA $100 or so!!!!
And then my day got better because I was able to Skype with Jordan for quite a while…and that always makes me happy. Even more so today because I was in a good mood and wasn’t freaking out unlike the day before! I guess that’s all for now. ‘À demain’ meaning see you tomorrow!
I decided to go for a run (which turned into more of a walk) and find my way around Bellac, my new ‘home.’ I started on a path that was in a park behind my school but today the teachers were on strike so a lot of students were hanging out there because their teachers never came! Don’t ask me, I don’t get why they go on strike all the time, I don’t get it either…I don’t really think it changes anything but the French are famous for going on strike! Anyways, I didn’t like that they were watching me so I decided to go on the roads and eventually I found the middle school I will be working at for 4 hrs/week, a Laundromat, some hair dressers, a pizza shop, the office of tourism, and some other small stores (ex- A store where you can buy everything you need for a funeral…WEIRD). I picked up a map and a guide of things to do around Bellac as well. I then headed back to town and got ready for the day. A little later I faced my fears and ate lunch at school (I didn’t know how the system worked and didn’t want to eat by myself)! The food wasn’t bad, better than cafeteria food in America…but wasn’t exactly delicious either. After lunch I went on a tour of town with one of the teachers I will be working with named Evelynne. She showed me Bellac’s small river (more like a large creek), a church, the post office, a bakery, and some other stores. The best part though is that we went to a bank to at least learn about setting up an account. I need to get a proof of housing and salary and then I can set my account up so I can get paid! Woohoo! Other great news is that I got a comforter today from the school and now I don’t have to use the ratty wool-like blankets they gave me with a piece of hair and grass on it! I know, this doesn’t seem exciting to you but it was quite exciting to me. Otherwise a new one would have cost me 70 Euros…AKA $100 or so!!!!
And then my day got better because I was able to Skype with Jordan for quite a while…and that always makes me happy. Even more so today because I was in a good mood and wasn’t freaking out unlike the day before! I guess that’s all for now. ‘À demain’ meaning see you tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment