Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Happy Wednesday to Me!

Hello everyone, just wanted to share with you my awesome day.
First of all, as you probably don’t remember, on Wednesdays, French students only go to school is the morning and have the afternoon off.  I don’t know why, that’s just how it is.  Instead, some schools have classes on Saturday morning (not mine thank God)!  So normally on Wednesdays I either have 1 or 2 classes depending on if its an A or B week.  Today I was supposed to have one.  I went to my one and only class today at 9AM and waited…and waited…and no one came.  I then reported to the attendance office to tell them and after ten minutes, I was informed not to worry and that they were probably taking a “BAC blanc” test.  (Side note: the BAC is our equivalent of the SAT.  Except it’s really not equivalent at all.  It’s MUCH harder, incorporates all subjects, and if students don’t pass the test-they don’t pass high school.  On the contrary, if they do pass, they can attend any public university in France for free!  At least from what I understand).  Point being, I didn’t have to teach at all today!  And it figures that this class that I didn’t teach today is my favorite class!  They have a better vocabulary than the rest of my classes and they are very nice. 

On top of having my only class cancelled today, it was a beautiful day...about 65 degrees and a beautiful fall day.  I watched a movie, ate lunch, took a nap, and then went outside and wrote some letters on a park bench.  Leaves covered the ground and the sun was shining through the trees, it was just perfect.  The weather this far has been nicer than at home.  On a normal day it’s about 50.  I’ve only worn my winter coat 2 times and I was almost too warm wearing it.  I just don’t have many choices for coats…seeing as I didn’t bring any and only bought one!

Lastly, I went to the pool today with Jose in a neighboring town.  The pool facility was pretty awesome.  It had a large locker room with free lockers (well 1euro deposit that you get back!), showers, a shallow pool with jets you can sit on, a regular competition pool, and then a hammam and a sauna.  The way I describe a hammam is a moist heat.   When I think of a sauna, I think of dry heat.  Who knows if that is an accurate description or not!  Jordan told me that saunas can be moist.  Who knows?  I decided to make a tour of the facility starting by relaxing on the jets, swimming 50 laps, then going into the hammam for 10 minutes, take a shower, then go into the sauna for 5.  Well apparently that was too much for my body because I got very dizzy and my vision started getting dark and blurry.  I sat down for a few minutes and then was ok to continue to go to the locker room.  When I got to the locker room I was trying to open my locker and I couldn’t because my vision went completely black.  Luckily Jose was there and led me to a seat and got me my water out of my locker.  Basically I was an idiot and was so dehydrated it started shutting down.  After I drank my water bottle my vision came back and I felt better.  I was really scared but luckily I wasn’t all alone.  So I learned a huge lesson today, DRINKING WATER IS SUPER IMPORTANT.  I will always make sure I drink water before, during, and after I am at the pool from now on.  I am excited to start swimming again…I miss the pool.  Granted, I am in super terrible shape right now but whatever, it’s good for my physical and my mental health.  The pool washes all of my problems away and I come back less stressed and in a better state of mind.  Can’t wait to go back next Wednesday!

Great Wednesday overall (minus the whole passing out thing)!  Whoops...I learned my lesson the hard way!

No comments:

Post a Comment