Thursday, March 29, 2012

Long Overdue Updates

So this week in called “La Semaine des Arts.”  In other words, Art Week.  It has been quite a cool week if you ask me.  On Monday there was a photo expo that Jose did a lot of work for.  Tuesday there were some student performances…playing instruments and also some acting/storytelling and it was also a dress-up day with a Spanish theme.  I don’t think anything happened on Wednesday but if it did, I totally missed it.  Today there was a short film made by four students, one of which is my student.  Apparently in October they won some kind of competition with it.  I was pretty impressed with the filming and acting.  Then, Jose made a slideshow with music of a trip to Spain he went on with some of the students.  Basically I am a slacker assistant.  No, not really, but this week it seems like it.  This week was pretty cool considering that it has been around 70 degrees every day and the Art Week is pretty cool too.  AND 3 classes were cancelled this week.  Woohoo.

In other news, last weekend I went to Bordeaux to visit a girl I studied abroad with in Avignon.  



 When stepping outside the train station I could already tell that I was going to like the city. And I did.  It is the perfect size city, not too big and not too small…just right.  The first night, Friday, we went out for dinner, drinks, and then went to a club.  Well technically, it was an Eramus party.  (Erasmus is the program that Europeans go through to study abroad).  It was really fun and I got to know some of Lauren’s friends.  Plus, I don’t go out very often so it was a nice treat.  We didn’t get home until 5:30AM!  WAY past my bed time! 


  We eventually got to bed and woke up around 11 and got ready and went shopping.  I got 2 pairs of shoes and a purse.  All of the shopping was on 1 road…and it was PACKED with people.  





 Apparently it is the longest pedestrian street in the world (at least that’s what Wikipedia says).  Saturday we were pretty tired so we met up with some friends and called it an early night.  Sunday I went home on the train with no complications.  I had a really good weekend.

As for teaching, I really enjoyed this week.  I am learning more of my students names and forming connections with them week by week.  Some of my students are finally realizing that I am not quite so bad after all and some even said they will miss me.  My middle school students are the cutest.  They literally cheer when they see me and never want to leave my lesson and go back to their teacher.  The way it works is that I see half the class for 25 minutes and then I get the other half of the class for the next 25 minutes.  It is so cute when they are like please, don’t make us go…let us stay…PLEASE!!!!  On a side note, today I was showing a PowerPoint with pictures of Niagara Falls, Buffalo, and my house and one picture was of Beaver Island Beach.  One student says “The word bitch is written on a desk in the German classroom.”  The rest of the students were like “SHHHH, don’t say that.  That’s a different word.”  In general, French people have a very difficult time with the difference between beach and bitch.  They sound very similar…so I made it a teaching lesson, explained the difference in meanings and pronunciation.  And then made them promise not to tell their teacher.  Last week I also explained to a class of Terminal AKA Seniors the difference between being pissed off and being pissed on.  Very subtle difference, but very important as well.  They thought that was funny. 
 I am going to miss some of my students but at the same time I am ready to go home.  I am glad I came to France for the past 7 months but I am ready to get back to ‘normal’ life.

Sorry I have been sucking at writing in my Blog lately, at least I wrote a long post today!  Enjoy and see you soon!  23 days!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to hear how you explained being pissed on! Dreary day today = sitting on the couch surfing the web. Enjoy the rest of your time in France - can't wait to have you state side! Love You, Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Delee!! This trip has been amazing for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This trip has definitely been amazing, it has had its ups and downs but I don't regret it in the least. I am getting excited to come home...but I am going to London tomorrow so I am also excited for that!!

    ReplyDelete