For the past two weeks, the buildings and grounds/maintenance people have been working on completing our ‘kitchen.’ Right now, my ‘kitchen’ is in the hallway and consists of a microwave and a mini-fridge. They are in the process of re-doing a room (painting, putting down new floor, and adding ventilation). After two weeks, the only noticeable difference I see is that they painted and did something with the floor, buffed or sanded it or something. There is A LOT of noises coming from the kitchen on a daily basis, but when I look, I rarely see any difference in the room.
Yesterday, I had class from 3:30-5:30 and I saw that one man was doing something with the breaker and the electricity. After my class at 5:30, I unlock my door and turn on the lights…well I guess I should say I flicked the light switch but the light didn’t come on. All of the lights in the hallway were on, the fridge still worked, the light in the bathroom worked, just not my room. I knew I was running out of time because school ends at 5:30 meaning that most of the staff leave then as well. I went to one of the offices and told them that I didn’t have electricity. Their solution was to move me to a different room for the night. WHAT?? What kind of half-ass solution is that? So then I left, stunned and semi-pissed and losing hope by the second. As I was walking back to my room, I saw one of the ladies I eat lunch with who is in the accountant. I told her my problem and her first word was ‘shit.’ She told me that the workers already went home and she also told me who I should go talk to. I went and spoke with this women and after I told her my problem, she asked me to wait a few minutes so she could finish something, after walking in circles for 5 minutes, she was done. She decided to call the worker’s home phone to ask him if he knew what the problem was…but he wasn’t home yet meaning he just left school. Awesome. After about 20 minutes have passed, she decides to make a visit to my room see for herself. She didn’t know what to do but then I showed her where the breaker was and eventually she started flicking switches until the lights came on. And violà. Problem solved after speaking to about 5 people, one of which told me to move to a different room…quelle solution (meaning ‘what a solution’). So that is my drama of the week. I am lucky the problem was solved at all I suppose. Tomorrow I am doing some site seeing with Elisa, the French girl I went to Lacanau with, one of my students, and my friend from Montmorillon named Stefanie who is another American assistant. Should be fun! I will post pictures and write about it eventually! Until then.
No comments:
Post a Comment